Some people refuse to call the police in emergency situations. It makes sense; certain groups have been unfairly and systematically persecuted by law enforcement officials. Obviously, there’s no trust. Cops stumble upon scenes that require immediate attention because of that lack of trust, though. Law enforcement and emergency medical officials on Reddit are very familiar with these absurd occurrences. It’s troubling to imagine the number of situations that remain unresolved because the police were never involved in the situation.

He Cut His Head While Breaking Into A Trailer

From Redditor /u/Smalltowncop:

I was responding to a disturbance call in a trailer park that turned out to be BS. As I was leaving I noticed a giant puddle of blood on the ground near a different trailer. Upon further inspection I realized that there was blood all over one of the doors complete with smeared hand prints and blood dripping off the door knob. It looked like a fucking massacre!

I started pounding on the door and this junkie came out and started yelling at me for waking her up. I asked her if she was hurt, and she said she wasn’t. She then proceeded to go ape-shit about all the blood. She has no idea where it came from.

I followed the ungodly amount of blood to a trailer about a block down where there was a giant party taking place. I ask the group of guys standing outside where the injured person was and they all go G-code on me and say they don’t know what I am talking about (while standing in the blood trail). I pushed passed and continued down the road to Oz where at the end of it I found a guy in what used to be an all white outfit but was now dark red. He was attempting to control his massive head bleed on his own.

I later discovered that he had been trying to break into the other trailer when he drunkenly cut his head on the window he broke.

She Thought There Were Bones In Her Backyard For 15 Years

From Redditor /u/onionionion:

My father was a village police man in he UK during the ’80s, so this is his story.

A lady bought a house and after many weeks getting settled, she turned her attention to the garden. She started digging into some flower beds, but as she was working she came across some small bones in the dirt, baby sized bones.

The house used to belong to a doctor, so the lady put two and two together and assumed he was a child murderer or maybe did some off-the-books abortions back in the day. This lady was shocked and terrified that her new home could be tainted by this horrible past, but she didn’t call the police… Instead she just avoided the garden. Completely. The whole thing weighed heavily on her mind as the years went by… 5, 10, 15 years (I forget how long exactly but it was at least a decade) until one day she couldn’t take it anymore and called the police to report the bones.

My dad went out to investigate, and she showed him roughly where they were. He dug around a little (this was the 80s, and apparently they were less concerned with disturbing evidence) and finds not a dead baby, but a small plastic skeleton.

Poor woman had been living with guilt and fear for decades because of a kids toy.

Someone Poured Water On A Deceased Man To Keep Him Warm

From Redditor /u/MonkeyManJohannon:

I’m a former LEO… I was driving home from a late shift when I decided to stop for breakfast at Waffle House. I noticed a few people flagging me down as I pulled into the parking lot, which was shared by an auto repair shop. They pointed me to the back so I pulled over and turned my spotlight on.

On the backside of the repair shop there was a dumpster, and there was a man laying down beside it behind the fence. I could see his feet. Then another homeless man walked out with a bowl and literally walked right by my car toward Waffle House (he was soaked).

So I walked over to the man laying down, and he was unresponsive. EMTs arrived, and the guy was dead. I still to this day have no idea how or why. I asked the homeless guy waiting next to Waffle House what happened and he said “He was out cold, I was pouring water on him to keep him warm…”

The video from the auto shop showed the guy walking then collapsing next to the dumpster (he wasn’t shot or anything so who knows, heart attack, stroke, something). This homeless man walked over to a water hose beside the waffle house, filled a bowl up and poured water on him because it was slightly cool outside and he didn’t want him to get too cold.

A Drug User Threw A Sofa Cushion To Get People’s Attention

From Redditor /u/Theycallme-MrPig:

Driving along a suburban road one night, a guy wearing only his underwear ran up to our cop car and threw a very large sofa cushion at us. As we slowed down to find out why he threw said cushion, he tried to jump into the back of the car. We got out and had a chat with the poor guy who told us he had used an 8-ball of poor quality cocaine and wanted to get our attention to help him.

The kicker was that he had been running around the suburban streets all drugged up for about 30 minutes, and no one thought it was odd enough to call us. To be fair, it wasn’t the nicest area

There Was A Quadruple Murder

From Redditor /u/dallken:

There was a quadruple murder in a residential area here in Sweden back in 1980. Several witnessed heard and saw the incident. The attacker shot a girl by accident and then shot another guy in the following moments. The killer fired his gun a total of 12 times over the course of several hours. He stabbed two others to death with a kitchen knife. He finished everything off with dragging the girl outside so that someone would find her and call paramedics, since he felt guilty for killing her. But [he] realized while dragging her that she was dead, and nothing could be done, so he threw her down an elevator shaft. The whole ordeal lasted for four hours and no one called the cops, even though 12 shot were fired and people screamed.

The killer was arrested two days later, and he was killed 18 years later by the son of the first victim.

People Smoked Cigarettes While A Man Died At Their Feet

From Redditor /u/Bedheadredhead30:

I’m a paramedic, but I think this fits. My partner and I were at our post, which was in the parking lot of a strip mall with a bunch of stores and one bar. The bar was known to be pretty sketchy. My partner was taking a little nap around 1 am, and I was watching a movie on my phone, waiting for a call. Eventually I noticed a few people coming out of the bar and just sort of lingering in the parking lot. A few more people came out, one lit up a cigarette and they all just stood around. I went back to my movie, and 20 minutes later I noticed there was now a much larger group lingering outside of the bar. Nothing strange was happening, but I thought it was weird that they’d all been there for so long so I decided to check it out.

I woke up my pissed off partner to have him pull our rig closer to the group. As we approach with our lights on, the group noticed us and started to break apart. A few people scattered, and I saw that in the middle of the group there was a person on the ground motionless. My partner and I jumped out and asked what was going on. Somebody in the group goes, “This guy is wasted. He just stumbled out here and fell asleep on the ground.” I shouted to the man on the ground, and he didn’t respond. I checked for a pulse and there was none. I started CPR while my partner got our jump bag and notified dispatch. For a full 30 minutes, people had just stood around looking at this dead guy on the ground, some smoking cigarettes, none doing anything about it. There wasn’t even a noticeable commotion. Nobody asked if he needed help or called anybody, and they probably never would have.

The guy was cool to the touch by the time we got to him, down for at least 30 minutes. We went through the motions, but there was no saving him. We transported him, and he was pronounced at the hospital within 15 minutes.

How f*cking hard is it to ask someone if they are okay? Or to dial 911? How was not one single person in that group not alarmed by seeing a man “sleeping” on the ground in a parking lot?

Daycare Workers Duct-Taped A Child To A Chair

From Redditor /u/I-Ate-The-Cake:

Not LEO, but I investigate issues in child daycare centers. Staff members duct-taped a one-year-old toddler to a chair because they wouldn’t sleep at nap time. One staff member witnessed the other staff tape the child. Three other staff members saw the child taped to the chair. The owner saw it as well. No one said anything or reported it to police (my office is civil not criminal). I called the local jurisdiction and submitted all the documentation I found. The parent picked up the child and couldn’t figure out why the child’s clothes had a sticky residue on them. Boy, was she surprised when she learned what happened to her baby.

Two Men Watched A House Burn Down With People Inside

From Redditor /u/VanillaGorilla59:

I’m really late to the party here. But three weeks after I started, I was on my way to our off-site property control. I was driving through a residential area to avoid the congestion and take a look at my new beat. I drove past a house with smoke pouring from the eves and two guys watching across the street. They pointed at it as I stopped and said, “I think there’s a fire.” It was an understatement. The entire house was filled with smoke, windows were black with soot, and still there was no call. These two guys were just chatting away, not doing anything. I couldn’t see fire, but it was July 10th and a sunny morning. No mistaking a house fire in broad daylight.

So I call it in and try to gain access and yell for any survivors. Keep in mind I have zero fire training, but have half a brain enough to know that if there are any survivors in there I won’t be any help to them, and will just be another body to yard out once fire does arrive. I get into the back yard by jumping over the hood of a minivan and sliding across like a Duke brother because there is so much junk everywhere. This takes a piece of the wooden fence and jambs my radio key button open, so everyone can here me breathing, yelling for survivors, etc. I have no idea I’ve got an open mic at this time. I lay down on the deck and look through the sliding glass door and there is only about 4 inches up from the floor I can see. I continue to yell for survivors but get no response.

As soon as fire gets there, they make a slow entry because the front door has been barricaded. This is when I knew something wasn’t right. Suspicions were confirmed when fire fighters yarded out four children, a mother, and father. The father was the last one taken out and the only survivor. Everyone else, except an infant, had been murdered with a kitchen knife.

Doing CPR on a child that you can see is obviously dead is something that will haunt me forever. I never thought I could take someone’s life until I had to try and help a child that was murdered by his father. I’ve never wanted to choke the life out of someone more. Talking about it helps, but still hurts.

An Illegal Poker Game Got Robbed, But No One Called Police

From Redditor /u/blunt_force_trauma:

Not in LE anymore, but was for about 12 years in a large city. When I was a patrolman, I got a call about someone shooting off fireworks in a strip mall at 2 am. These instances were fairly common calls, so we would usually just go check the area and clear it. I checked the parking lot and didn’t find anything, but I noticed the lights were on at one of the strip mall businesses.

I won’t say what business it was, but it was owned by a pretty prominent local businessman. I got out to check and found the front door unlocked, which was suspicious. We had a lot of burglaries in that area, so I asked dispatch to call a rep for the business. I was clearing the building and found the owner and several other people (all really prominent) in a backroom, where a poker table was set up.

One of the guys was sitting down and had a pile of coats in his lap, which was really weird. He was acting like he was in pain. I saw blood droplets under his chair, and I asked him what was wrong. He broke down and moved the coats, then revealed he had a gunshot wound in his thigh.

Long story short, these guys had a high stakes poker game every week. Someone tried to rob it, and things went sideways. The dude robbing the game shot this guy in the leg, which some citizen heard, but they called it in as fireworks. The guys involved in the game weren’t going to call the cops and were arranging to have a doctor come treat him “off the books.” Gambling is illegal in the state I worked in, but we honestly wouldn’t have given a shit.

We actually caught the guy that did it, but the DA wouldn’t prosecute because the victim and witnesses didn’t want to testify or be involved. The victim recovered fine. One of the guys who I interviewed told me that they were robbed of over $30,000.

Family Members Watched While A Relative Had A Heart Attack

From Redditor /u/reirarei:

The most absurd situation in which no one called the police or 911 was when my crazy neighbors’ father-in-law had a heart attack on their front lawn during a BBQ. The guy’s son was having the mother of all tantrums—shoving people, screaming, rolling on the ground, pulling up grass. He literally broke a window… all while shrieking at the top of his voice “PLEASE GOD, DON’T TAKE MY DAD”. The other relatives allowed the spectacle to unfold before their eyes while they formed a semi-circle around this dude’s seemingly lifeless corpse. I finally looked out of my window, opened it, and asked if anyone had called 911. Got around 20 blank stares. I called for help, and the crazy son tried to attack the paramedics while they were loading his dad into the ambulance. I called the cops on them too.

Common sense really isn’t all that common.

A Man Had A Massive Seizure, But People Just Ignored Him

From Redditor /u/Qui-Gon_Jim:

Started my four-to-midnight shift by heading directly to get a coffee. It was a beautiful summer day, and there were people everywhere. I pulled into the parking space and saw a dude lying on the ground in front of a park bench.

I jumped out of my cruiser, grabbed my first-aid bag, and called it in. The guy was conscious but not really responsive. It sounds like a movie, but we were telling him to blink if he could hear us. Rescue finally arrived and took him to the hospital. I found out later on that the poor guy suffered a severe grand mal seizure and was still postictal when I rolled up on him.

The frustrating part was the dozens of people milling about didn’t even bother to call 911, never mind find out of the guy was okay.

A Toddler Wandered Around All Alone

From Redditor /u/Specter1033:

I do mountain bike patrol in a smallish/medium sized city. I was riding one morning just after rush hour and spotted a little kid probably three to four years old standing on the side of the road with no parents in sight. I stopped and asked him where his parents were, and he just kinda shrugged. I called it in, and some dude ran out of some townhomes across the street. He said the little dude was standing out there for a few hours, and he was watching him to “keep an eye on him.” There were people around and everything, but we never got a call for it.

Long story short, he wandered out of the room him and his mom were staying in nearby and into the street. The place was a shelter for women, and he was able to get out past the manager and a court police officer. His mom had died from a heroin overdose three days prior, and when the little guy got hungry he got out of the room and wandered out to the street. No one even went to check on her either despite the smell.

A Man Let A Criminal Hide In His Basement Until His Music Got Too Loud

From Redditor /u/Whatmynameis89:

A known drug dealer shot another guy. It’s a smaller town. I was looking for him but couldn’t find him for hours and hours.

He had snuck into some other random guy’s basement. The guy found him down there and was totally cool with this armed drug dealer hiding in his house. He didn’t know him. He just carried on with his day and didn’t call the cops.

Eventually at 4 am the hiding drug dealer was bored and started playing music on his phone. Apparently that was what pissed the homeowner off enough to call the cops.

Because the dude started playing music…

Party-Goers Continued The Festivities While Two People Died

From Redditor /u/sorryforbeingright:

I’m a current police officer.I was driving in a hot spot with frequent car prowls. A house party was going on, and three people were face down in the yard. Spectators were just standing around them like, “Uhhhhhhhh… cool!”

One person died due to suffocation on vomit, another suffered brain damage from a drunk fall, and the third lived.

Based on my investigation they were like that for 15 minutes or more with dozens of people around.

A Vietnam Vet Drove Himself To The Hospital During A Heart Attack

From Redditor /u/troop89:

I was off duty playing poker with some neighbors and friends. One of the guys at the table was a hard-ass Vietnam vet. In the middle of a hand he downed his glass of scotch, hit himself in the chest, and lit a cigarette. He stood up and said, “Well, I’m having a heart attack.” He then walked out and drove to the hospital. Everyone thought he was joking. Sure enough, he had and survived a heart attack.

Housing Attendants Let A Resident Rot And Die

From Redditor /u/TheCommakaze:

Oh, the things I could post. I am ex-paramedic and used to work for our Medical Examiner’s office (I apologize for not being police specifically). After reading these posts, one particular instance comes to mind: while working for the MEO, we were called for a badly decomposed decedent. She was in the bathroom of a housing facility. Her remains had leaked into the air ducts and flooring. EMS was called because someone slipped and fallen on her liquefaction in the hallway. I realized that a lot of these folks probably had bad run ins with the police, but to let someone rot like that astounded me. You could smell it from outside the facility and it took someone injuring themselves for someone to call the authorities.

Please wait...
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!