9 Creepiest Supernatural Unsolved Mysteries Nobody Can Explain



Some things just don’t make any sense. Most people like to believe that everything can be figured out or solved given time… but that’s not always the case. Take these 9 mysteries, for example. They have remained unsolved for decades (if not longer), mystifying experts. This is certainly the case for our first supernatural unsolved mystery.

It’s one of the most bizarre, not to mention terrifying, mysteries of the modern age. The unfathomable deaths of nine Russian mountaineers whose cross-country skiing trip ended in a tragedy so horrifying and perplexing that it has mystified experts, and indeed the world ever since.

1. Dyatlov Pass Incident

One of the last photos of the mountaineers, developed from the discarded roll of film found at the abandoned campsite

On January 25, 1959, nine Russian students embarked on a journey across the Otorten Mountain range, which is nestled in the northern Urals, for a strenuous cross-country skiing trip. They were never seen alive again.

It was eight days after they were due to arrive at their end destination, that a search party set out to find the missing mountaineers. On February 26, the search party came upon the flapping remains of a tent pitched on ski poles on an uppermost slope of Kholat Syakhl, ‘Mountain of the Dead’ in the native language of northern Siberia.
The tent had been ripped apart, torn to shreds from the inside, suggesting those inside had fled in panic. The footprints around the tent indicated that that those who fled into sub-zero temperatures did so in just their socks or barefoot and in one case just a shoe. Two sets of prints led down a slope toward a densely forested area which would lead the searchers to the first bodies.

Beside the remains of a long burnt out fire, beneath a looming, ancient pine tree were the frozen bodies of two hikers. The searchers noted with bewilderment that both men were naked and shoeless, save for their underwear. They also noted that the branches of the old pine had been snapped off up to a height of almost 15-feet, indicating that the pair had frantically attempted to climb the tree for safety.

Around 350 yards away lay the body of Igor Dyatlov, the 23-year-old engineering student who had put the expedition together. (His name would later be given to the area where the tragedy took place.) Nearby, the remains of three more bodies were discovered under four inches of snow. The bodies were in a line 200 yards apart, as if they had been trying to crawl behind each other back up to the shelter of the tent, but never made it.

Rustem Slobodin’s body discovered buried in the snow, face down.

Two months after the initial search the rest of the group were found, under 15ft of snow in a den they had desperately hollowed out for themselves before succumbing to the cold. Some of this group had broken bones and terrible internal injuries but, strangely, no external wounds, not even a scratch could be found upon their skin. Stranger still, odd bits of their clothing contained higher than normal levels of radiation.

The post-mortem examinations of the nine bodies threw up a string of bewildering anomalies. What could cause nine experienced mountaineers to flee in terror into sub-zero temperatures? Why were some fully clothed, but others nearly naked? Most disconcerting of all was hiker Lyudmilla Dubinina’s body, which was missing her tongue and eyes.

There are various theories concerning what happened in those dark and dreadful hours on the Mountain of the Dead. Possible explanations such as an avalanche or the Russian Military and secret experimental weapons testing have been blamed, even Yeti’s and alien abduction (the latter being the belief of Soviet investigators at the time) are also popular theories. However the simple fact is no theory holds up to scrutiny, and so endures the legend of Dyatlov Pass one of the greatest unexplained mysteries of our time.

2. The Pollock Twins

(Image source) Twins Jennifer and Gillian Pollock

In 1957, two sisters Joanna and Jacqueline Pollock aged 11 and 6 respectively, were tragically killed in a car accident as they walked to their local church in Northumberland, England. Their parents were grief stricken, John their father prayed and hoped his daughters would come back, and it seems his prayers were answered. Just one year later twin girls Jennifer and Gillian were born. The Pollock’s were surprised to find that Jennifer, the younger twin, had birth marks on her body and face in exact the same place as Jacqueline had. With that, began a series of uncanny similarities between the twins and their dead sisters.

At the age of two, the twins started to ask for toys which had once been owned by Jacqueline and Joanna. The girls had never seen or heard about the toys before. At four, the girls began to recognized places they had never seen or been to before. One time they pointed to a school they claimed to be their school and that they had played in the playground behind it. The school was the one Jacqueline and Joanna had attended.

When the girls were five years old their memories suddenly vanished and they went on to live normal, happy lives. A well-respected psychologist at the time, Dr. Ian Stevenson, studied the case in-depth and concluded it was probable that the twins were reincarnations of their departed sisters.

3. Who Put Bella in the Wych Elm?

(Image source) After the grumesome discovery, graffiti appeared across the region, asking “Who put Bella down the wych elm?”

On April 18, 1943, four boys went poaching in Hagley Wood, England. There, they found a wych-elm tree, which they thought would serve as a good place to hunt for bird nests. One of the boys, climbed up to check it out. That’s when he found a hollow opening in the tree’s trunk and discovered wedged tightly inside was a woman’s skeleton, entirely complete except for one missing hand.

Terrified, they swore a pact of silence and fled – but the youngest of the boys, was so traumatised that he told his father. The police were dispatched to investigate and the body was found exactly as it had been described. The woman’s severed hand and items of clothing were found later, buried near the tree which gave rise to speculations that she had suffered a black magic execution and that witches covens and Satanists were operating in the local area.
After police analysis, the bones were determined to belong to a woman aged 35-40, who had been placed “while still warm” into the tree where she had remained hidden for at least 18 months. Adding to the already baffling mystery, local’s named the unidentified woman Bella after the appearance of graffiti across the region, asking “Who put Bella down the wych elm?” suggesting that someone knew more than they were letting on, however no-one came forward with information. Whatever the truth, Bella’s identity and murder remain unsolved.

4. Dutch SS Ourang Medan

(Image source)

According to widely circulated reports, in June of 1947 multiple ships sailing the trade routes of the straits of Malacca, which is located between Sumatra and Malaysia, claimed to have picked up a series of SOS distress signals. The unidentified ship’s message was as simple as it was terrifying “All officers including captain are dead, lying in chartroom and bridge. Possibly whole crew dead.”

This communication was followed by a burst of indecipherable Morse code, then a final message “I die.” This cryptic proclamation was followed by an eerie silence.

The distress call was picked up by two American ships as well as British and Dutch listening posts. The men manning these posts managed to triangulate the source of these broadcasts and deduced that they were likely emanating from a Dutch freighter known as the SS Ourang Medan.

The American merchant ship Silver Star was first on scene, quickly boarding the now drifting Ourang Medan. The decks of the vessel were littered with the corpses of the Dutch crew; eye’s wide open with terrified expression on their faces and arms stretching out in front of them as to shield themselves from something monstrous.

As the Silver Star tried to tow the ghost ship back to port, the crew noticed ominous billows of smoke pouring up from the lower decks. The boarding party scarcely had a chance to cut the towline and make it back to the Silver Star before the Ourang Medan exploded. The doomed ship slowly sank beneath the ocean waves, leaving in its wake the most chilling of maritime mysteries.

5. The Wow! Signal

(Image source) Jerry Ehman famously wrote the words “Wow!” on the original printout of the signal

Two Cornell physicists, Philip Morrison and Giuseppe Cocconi, famously tried to imagine how an intelligent alien civilization might try to signal Earth. We should look, they said, for a radio transmission. 18 years later that prediction came true.

In August 1977, Jerry Ehman, a volunteer researcher for Ohio State University’s now-defunct Big Ear radio observatory for SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence), was scanning radio waves from deep space, hoping to randomly come across a signal that bore the hallmarks of one that might be sent by intelligent aliens, when he saw his measurements spike.The signal lasted for 72 seconds, the longest period of time it could possibly be measured by the array that Ehman was using. It was loud and appeared to have been transmitted from a place no human has gone before: in the constellation Sagittarius near a star called Tau Sagittarii, 120 light-years away.

Ehman wrote the words “Wow!” on the original printout of the signal, thus its title as the “Wow! Signal.” All attempts to locate the signal again have failed, leading to much speculation and mystery about its origins. So, what does this mysterious extraterrestrial signal mean? Was Ehman the first man ever to receive an intentional message from an alien race? Opinions are split, but perhaps we’ll find the answer sooner than we think.

6. Frederick Valentich Disappearance

(Image source)

On October 21, 1978, Frederick Valentich left Melbourne, Australia to begin a 125-mile training flight to King’s Island. He was flying a single engine Cessna. At a little after 7:06 p.m. Valentich made radio contact with air traffic controllers to inquire if there were any other aircraft known to be flying in the area. The answer from Melbourne was no, an answer that was confirmed again during the odd communication that followed. Seven minutes later radio contact was lost and Valentich was never heard from again.

During the puzzling exchange with air traffic control, Valentich claimed he saw something flying near him. When asked if he could confirm that it was an aircraft, he said that he could not, a statement that he repeated several times. He described the object as having at least four lights and one green light; he also said it was an elongated cigar-shaped craft which was “all shiny on the outside.”

Interestingly, there appear to have been numerous UFO and/or strange light sightings in the King’s Island and Bass Strait area on the night that Frederick Valentich disappeared. There also may have been sightings both in the weeks before and after the event.

The last words that air traffic controllers officially heard Frederick Valentich speak were “It is not an aircraft.” Extensive searches for the pilot were conducted. No sign of Frederick or the Cessna was ever seen again.

7. The Man Who Vanished into Thin Air

(Image source) Ambrose Bierce

Author and war hero Ambrose Bierce is probably more famous for his disappearance than his writing. In 1913, Bierce wrote that he was traveling to Mexico “with a pretty definite purpose which is not at present disclosable” and vanished off the face of the earth. The logical explanation is that he ran afoul of soldiers in the Mexican Revolution.

However, prior to this trip Bierce had been researching disappearances: men who vanished in fields in plain sight of their families, rooms within houses that swallowed up entire families. One case in particular that interested Bierce was that of Charles Ashmore.

In 1878, Ashmore walked out of the back door of his family’s farm house near Quincy, Illinois, to go fetch fresh water from the spring a short distance away. When he did not return, his family went in search of the boy. A new snow had just fallen and Charles’ footprints were plainly visible as they went out the back door and started across the yard. His father followed his trail for a short distance but after going about 75 yards, they saw that the trail abruptly ended. Beyond the last footprint was nothing other than smooth, unbroken snow – the boy’s tracks simply came to an end with nowhere for him to go, vanishing without explanation.

Bierce theorized that people could fall into dimensional holes and be trapped forever, suspended between life and death. Is this what happened to Bierce? Did he prophesize his own fate? Nobody knows, to this day his disappearance remains a mystery.

8. San Francisco Satanic Beheading

(Image source) View of the Golden Gate Bridge

On February 8, 1981 transient Leroy Carter Jr. was sleeping rough in the Golden Gate Park, San Francisco when he was brutally attacked. After police arrived at the grisly scene the next day they noted that Carter’s head had been cut off. And also that it was missing.

One of the only clues left behind at the scene was a headless chicken, part of which had been stuffed into Carter’s body at the neck. Quickly realising that this case needed a specialist, The San Francisco Police brought in an Officer Sandi Gallant who specialized in the occult and satanic murders.

According to Gallant, the murder was likely part of a dark ritual involving Palo Mayombe, a black magic offshoot of the religion Santeria. Gallant believed whoever had committed the crime did so to make a ritual brew from Carter’s brains and perhaps the ears and the nose. She also predicted that the head would be returned after 42 days, once the ritual was complete.

True enough, right on schedule the head was returned to the crime 42 days later. However, despite having been called in, the occult detective was not taken seriously, and no one was watching the crime scene to make the arrest. The murderer escaped justice and the case remains unsolved.

9. The Baffling Case of Little Pauline Picard

Little Pauline Picard, aged two, disappeared from her family’s farm in Brittany, France in April 1922. An exhaustive search failed to find her, but several days later, police received news that a little girl who matched Pauline’s description was found wandering in the town of Cherbourg, about 320 kilometers away from the Picard farm. Pauline’s parents arrived to examine the girl and announced that she was indeed their missing Pauline.

About a month later, a neighboring farmer walking near the Picard farm stumbled upon something horrifying: the mutilated and decomposing body of a young girl next to her neatly folded clothes. He alerted the authorities, who arrived at the gruesome scene along with the town’s inhabitants, among them Pauline’s parents. Although the young girl’s face could not be identified, the Picard’s made an unsettling realization: the folded clothes were exactly what Pauline had been wearing on the day she disappeared.

The area where the remains were found had been searched thoroughly when Pauline first disappeared, which suggests that someone had placed the body there fairly recently. The case became even more perplexing when the skull of an adult male was discovered next to Pauline’s body, adding a second potential victim to the case.

The case baffled the police. If the body in the woods was Pauline, as the evidence suggested, then what had happened to her? How was the unidentified skull related to Pauline’s murder? And who was the little girl from Cherbourg who had been living with the Picards? The answers to these questions were never discovered, and the strange case of Little Pauline Picards remains one of France’s greatest unsolved mysteries.

Please wait...