The idea: Take her to a restaurant (one that’s not too fancy, something like Chili’s or Red Lobster, because it’s a first date after all) grab a bite, maybe a drink or two, and take her home after a nice make-out session while parked in the driveway.
- It’s a good way to get to know a person (and if conversation sucks, you can just talk about the menu, or about an uglier couple sitting a few tables down).
- Restaurants offer alcoholic beverages — which can be a good backup plan if things go to crazy.
- Even if the date doesn’t go well, at least you ate at a nice restaurant.
- She might have a bogus food allergy — or worse, is vegan.
- With just a few drinks, the bill’s total can be ridiculously expensive.
- She may order the most expensive menu item and beverage, revealing her true intentions.
- Your waitress may make the assumption that you two are already dating, ultimately making for a super awkward conversation because the server is digging too deep for a tip.
The idea: Hopefully the two of you reach a mutual decision on which movie you’ll watch, to which you’ll then buy the tickets as well as whatever she wants from the ridiculous portion sizes available at the concession stand.
- If the date was a dud, at least you got to see a movie (hopefully one you wanted to see anyway).
- You don’t have to do much, so there aren’t many ways to screw things up.
- You might have to watch a movie of her choosing (which, a good 90% of the time stars Katherine Heigl or Hugh Grant, who are the absolute worst).
- You’ll leave the date without knowing much (or anything) about the stranger whose movie ticket you just paid for.
- The concession stand is a glorified money pit under neon lights.
- You sit near that dude who likes to shout his film predictions during each scene.
- It’s super cheap.
- It’s non-committal. You don’t have to stay long. Maybe an hour — two, tops.
- Probably offers WiFi, so you can swipe on Tinder if your date isn’t going well.
- It’s totally reliant on conversation. So if she’s a dud, best of luck, dude.
- The coffee shop could be packed, making conversation (or finding a seat) impossible.
- She could be one of those horrendous people whose coffee order sounds like an essay in the New Yorker.
The idea: You’ve heard women like it, so you figured, “Why the hell not?”
- It’s the most romantic thing a man can possibly do.
- Her friends will think you’re a catch.
- It’s free!
- If it’s a public path, there will be dog shit. Everywhere.
- It’s not all that fun.
- Are you supposed to hold hands? Good luck finding that out.
Hit Up The Drive-In
- You’re guaranteed to get some action: a handy, at the very least.
- You get two or three films for the price of one.
- You can easily ditch the concession stand and bring your own food.
- If she’s up for hiding, you only have to pay for yourself (kind of joking with this one, but kind of not).
- The screens are usually a shitty quality, so you’re essentially hearing — not watching — the movie
- If an SUV or larger size vehicle pulls in front of you, you aren’t seeing shit.
- If somebody at the same screen is an idiot and turns on their headlights, the film’s already hindered quality is completely ruined
The idea: To start off on the right foot and accompany her to an awesome concert, impress her with your music knowledge, and hopefully get laid when the show’s over.
- You’re taking her to a goddamn concert, she’s going to love you already.
- Live music is great no matter who you’re with.
- If a love song comes on and you throw your arm around her, you’re golden.
- You can’t hear shit. So you guys won’t be talking.
- Depending on who you’re seeing (a local punk band or Paul McCartney), you could be spending your rent money on said date.
The idea: A great option for a date that falls on a weeknight. After work, grab a drink or two, get to know each other better, and decide whether another date is in the cards.
- Like coffee, going for drinks is non-committal.
- Alcohol will make conversation easier.
- You might go overboard with your libations and make an ass out of yourself.
- You’ll bring up something you shouldn’t — an ex, an affinity for Power Rangers paraphernalia, etc.
- You drink too much and offer her a ride home, which she’ll find irresponsible.
The idea: You really dig this chick, so you want to go all in and impress the crap out of her. Dancing is something many women like to do, but few men have the confidence to go out and cut a rug because we can easily make a fool of ourselves.
- Even if you can’t dance, a woman likes a man who attempts to put himself out there.
- It’s a bold idea — shows her you’ve got balls.
- Dancing? Dude, you can’t dance, what are you doing?
- She might be a piss-poor dancer as well.
- The music could be awful.
- The whole date could just be an awkward mess of limbs.
- You know what, don’t do this as a first date. It’s a bad idea.
AN HONEST LOOK AT THE 8 PROS AND CONS OF FIRST DATE IDEAS