Previous
Next

Extreme Heat Causes Bottle Of Water To Spark Fire Inside Car


In an effort to stay hydrated this summer, many people keep a bottle of water close.

But in some cases, that can be a problem.

Dioni Amuchastegue, a battery technician on the west coast, recently made a mistake that is now educating people across the country, including right here in Kentuckiana.

“Sitting in the truck, I happened to notice some smoke out of the corner of my eye,” he said. “I looked over and noticed that light was being refracted through a water bottle and starting to catch the seat on fire.”

Amuchastegue said the water bottle became a magnifying glass for the sunlight.

“(The) water bottle was sitting exactly like … light was just shining through the driver’s side window and shown right through and burned those two spots in the seat right there.”

The spark generated by the sunlight and water bottle even surprised firefighters.

Keith Brooks, assistant chief of the Harrods Creek Fire Department, said it’s not likely to happen often but admitted that leaving bottled water in the car can be a little like playing with fire.

“I guess I never thought about it before, but it makes sense,” Brooks said. “So I would highly recommend that you keep any, especially clear plastic water bottles, out of direct sunlight.”

Firefighters say if you don’t want to take the bottle with you, putting it under your seat is another option.

 

WDRB 41 Louisville News

Previous
Next
Please wait...