JUMP TO COMMENTS
Previous
Next

Man Killed After Being Sucked Into MRI Machine

A Magnetic resonance imaging scan helps doctors take a look at what’s happening inside your body. It uses a combination of strong magnetic fields and radio waves to produce the detailed look at things like your brain, spinal cord, bones, joints, heart, blood vessels and internal organs.

The one thing that you need to know about an MRI machine is that no metal is allowed inside the room in which it’s housed, as it will get sucked into the machine by the powerful magnets.

Unfortunately for Rajesh Maru, he tragically died because he did just that.


Credit: Facebook

It’s reported that the 32-year-old, from India, walked into a room in Nair Hospital carrying a metal, cylindrical oxygen tank. It’s not yet clear why he was moving the tank into the room, but what is evident is that it played a serious role in his death.

Rajesh was rapidly pulled into the MRI machine and it’s understood that at some point the tank ruptured – spilling liquid oxygen everywhere. The victim reportedly inhaled this toxic substance and died within 10 minutes, according to the the Independent.

An autopsy revealed Rajesh died as a result of a pneumothorax, otherwise known as a collapsed lung. ANI news agency says Mr Maru was in the hospital to see a sick relative.


Credit: Facebook

Right now you may be thinking, ‘but we need oxygen to survive; it couldn’t possibly kill you.’ Liquid oxygen, however, is very different to the air we breathe.

It has a freezing point of −218.79 °C and a boiling point of −182.96 °C, meaning if it got into your body you would freeze, burn or simply explode.

This incident in India has led to police starting an investigation to see whether hospital negligence played a role in Rajesh’s death. Police spokesman Deepak Deoraj released a statement saying: “We have arrested a doctor and another junior staff member under section 304 of the Indian penal code for causing death due to negligence.”

CCTV footage of the horrific event has been handed over to authorities as a part of their investigation.

According to the Daily Mail, Mr Maru’s uncle, Jitendra Maru says his nephew was assured the MRI machine was turned off: “The ward boy who was supposed to prevent such incidents told my family members to go inside when the machine was turned on. We are shocked and devastated.”

Rajesh’s family has been awarded 500,000 rupees (£5,590 / $7848) in compensation

JUMP TO COMMENTS
Previous
Next
Please wait...

And Now... A Few Links From Our Sponsors