The Chin Flick
- The Fig Turkey, Russia, Indonesia What it is: Clenching your hand to a fist with your thumb protruding between the first two fingers.What it means: Screw you. It also symbolizes female genitalia in some countries, as the Italian word for vulva is fig.
- ‘OK’ If used in Greece, Spain or Brazil, you are calling someone an asshole.
- Five Fathers Arab countries, CaribbeanWhat it is: Pointing your left index finger at your right hand while grouping all fingers on the right hand together.What it means: You have 5 fathers, an insulting way of saying your mother is a whore.
- Rock on In Spain, Italy and Greece, this is used to signify that your wife is sleeping with someone else.
- The Forearm Jerk France, Southern Europe, BrazilWhat it is: Slapping one hand down on the opposite bicep and raising that arm into a fist.What it means: The gesture is the equivalent of giving someone the middle finger and means ‘up yours.’
- The Cutis India, Pakistan What it is: Basically a thumbs up, except you push the nail on your thumb against your front teeth and flick while saying ‘cuttal.’What it means: Fuck you.
- Nodding/Shaking headYou might not offend anyone, but you’ll certainly confuse them. The gestures are reversed in Greece and Bulgaria, where nodding the head up and down means NO and shaking or tilting the head means YES.
- The Moutza Greece, Mexico, Middle East. AfricaWhat it is: Thrusting your spread hand towards another person with your palm facing them.What it means: similar to ‘talk to the hand,’ the gesture conveys displeasure towards the recipient. The origin of this gesture is said to be the Byzantine, when criminals were shamed by rubbing handfuls of cinder over their faces.
- Beckoning sign The ‘come here’ gesture is one of the worst signals you can use in the Philippines. They think it’s so rude and offensive and only use it for dogs. You can even get arrested for using it.
10 Offensive Gestures From Around The World